Sunday, 2 January 2011

Berlin times

I got back from Berlin yesterday lunch time, and my did we have a nice time. I have been before, back in summer 2008, but now it was a rather chilly -12 when we landed! More snow than we had in the UK just before Christmas, but of course all their roads are perfect looking.. but I did see more snow ploughs in 24 hours than I've seen in my life.
On our first evening we braved the cold (probably -20 by nightfall and with wind chill factor) and stumbled across a German market which was a bit of good luck- we pigged out a bit on hot dogs, crepes and gluhwein (the German version of mulled wine). From there we walked to the Brandenburg Gate, which was being lit up in all sorts of colours in preparation for the New Year's Eve festivities. The next day we went on an "alternative Berlin" tour, which took in all sorts of interesting street art. In Berlin, this is often more than just the graffiti of bored youth, but often a socio-political message symbolising the evils of Capitalism and the East/West divide apparently.
On the night itself we joined in a pub crawl, and made it to midnight when just about every Berliner lets off fireworks (D even got hit on the back of the neck!), and stumbled back to the hotel. Our flight back was the next day at 10:45 so we tried to grab a bit of sleep, woke up and realised the alarm had been set to English time! Our last Euros went on a taxi in the end..

Some snapshots of our time there.

IMG_1222
IMG_1226
IMG_1245
IMG_1254
IMG_1266
IMG_1275
IMG_1327
IMG_1360
IMG_1391

21 comments:

  1. Oh wow what an adventure! Your NYE has to be the best I've read about so far, it sounds like you had a lot of fun!
    Love the photo of you wearing the turban and fur coat, so glamorous :D

    Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like you had an amazing time! I'd love to go some day. And with Barcelona, I'm definitely thinking of getting a cheapo flight - I should start looking into it really... haha.
    Happy New Year,

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. -20, oh my god! insane! sounds wonderful though, love the photo of you on the metro! the coat is wonderful!

    happy new year! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are such great pictures! Really love the first one. looks like you've had a great time :)

    hope you'll visit/follow
    www.marylee31.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy new year to you too! i am going to berlin again at the end of march, staying on a houseboat - i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blog and wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first picture is just breathtaking!

    xx and hugs

    Jhordyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like you had an amazing time! that first photo is gorgeous :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you two are so cute! Looks like a wonderful way to start the new year!! Minus the firework to the back of the neck!

    Shy

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweet adventurous girl, I love your blog! It would be quite a dream to ride that Berlin carnival swing on New Years! Happy 2011!

    xo, strawberry moth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some beautiful images!!

    http://livinginwonderlandx.blogspot.com/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to go to Berline for such a long time! It sounds amazing... I went to a German Christmas market in Leeds, where they had gluhwein. Thankyou for your comment! I barely found anything else in the sales x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Berlin* I swear I can spell really x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that looks like an amazing holiday! What a way to bring in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such gorgeous photos! I love the ones of the carousel and the icicles. looks like you had a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet photos, I'm glad you had a lovely time in Berlin! Happy new year m'dear ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. My gosh, that does sound like quite an amazing time. Have a lovely New Year darling. Your photos are so magical (as always). Cheers! Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm loving all the photos and it sounds like you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i was also in berling voor NYE! did you have fun?

    xoxo

    www.afashionhouseofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thank you, I love reading your pretty words <3