Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Brown eyed girl

IMG_1511

My four days in Berlin went back pretty quickly. I'm sad to be back at work, but it was very tiring. Four days of walking, visiting, drinking etc really takes its toll. Also the cold! I visited certain places for the second or third time but didn't mind of course, including Tacheles, the artists' squat threatened with demolition, the East Side Gallery and the area of old warehouses now given over to bars, clubs and also amazing street art. We did manage to go to the Jewish Museum, which was huge and very interesting, and of course moving. There were all sorts of personal objects and letters from the Holocaust that had been donated or gifted to the museum and it always makes me feel a little strange- you see a violin and can imagine someone hurriedly leaving it with a neighbour to keep until after the war.. photos of a happy smiling child who didn't live past his tenth birthday (I can still picture his face) and the letters. So many letters, ending with "I'm going away now", or "Hopefully we'll be reunited soon", some tear-spattered, some horribly crossed out by the censors. I still can't comprehend sometimes that such things were permitted to happen. I wouldn't be here today if my grandparents hadn't left Austria in 1939.

Anyway. We also visited a couple of flea markets. I was slightly disappointed at first as there were some nice vintage items that were still relatively expensive, until we chanced upon a stall selling coats for €5 and other items for €1 each. Sadly due to us only having hand luggage I couldn't buy as much as I wanted (sad times). Still this beauty is from there (which I thought looked a teensy bit like the £95 Topshop boyfriend coat..), and I also bought a red sweater for D and a waistcoat which I shall try to style. I was naughty and went to H n M and bought a couple of items too. Suffice to say, I cannot purchase anything apart from food and travel for the foreseeable future.

IMG_1555
IMG_1556
IMG_1558
IMG_1559
IMG_1560
And I realise the outfit is very, very brown. The dress is from Primark, the shoes vintage from Etsy, the rings Topshop or Miss Selfridge.


I was tagged by the very stylish Gawgus Things with the Versatile Blogger award (several days ago now) which was very nice of her indeed.


I'm supposed to say seven things about myself. I can never think of anything interesting when I'm put on the spot. I'm sure I'll think of something better afterwards..

1. I broke my leg really badly almost 6 years ago (I'm thinking of it now as the "anniversary" is approaching). Having weird scars and skin grafts isn't fun so I'm still cautious about getting my legs out in Summer, even if it's really hot. I hate when people stare and look away. I know it's only normal but I'd rather people ask than hear people say I have a freakish leg (overheard in uni one day).
2. I despise coriander, parsley and celery. I've tried but I can't (especially celery).
3. I've only started wearing heals/wedges recently. Before it was ballet pumps, lace up brogues etc. I feel like I'm playing catch up and want to buy loads now!
4. I really love my cat. And cute dogs I see in the street. My friend said to me the other day "wow, you really love animals don't you, more than people". Which may be true, but I'm ok with that. :p
5. My absolute favourite dish used to be roast chicken with rice and peas, as cooked by my grandmother. It's never been quite the same since she passed away in terms of the familiar smells. Still love it though.
6. I keep meaning to be more creative with my time when I'm not working. But somehow evenings and weekends always turn into the same combination of playing around on the laptop, watching terrible tv, shopping, cleaning etc. I need to get out of my lazy habits!
7. I'm a big impulse buyer. I buy, try at home then return the item. Also I often go around with the price tags still attached as though I were going to take something back, even though I've decided to wear it. I really don't know why I do this.

Hmm, rather random things there and not very enlightening.


I'm passing this on to some lovely people with splendid blogs :)

Elegantly Wasted
Shy Chesterfield
Lost Things
City Light Maverick
Harlequin Hippo

23 comments:

  1. That coat is amazing! What a steal.

    I also can't stand coriander, it tastes like soap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds so much fun! The scenery must've been so amazing. I can't wait to visit one day.


    paperwhales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely pair of shoes, what a lovely post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good you had a nice trip, although of course the museum would've been moving. I'm studying modern history this year, and although I am quite interested in learning about the war, I hope I dont get too emotional.

    Lovely outfit! i just got some pinkish/tan brogue esq shoes the other day, I have been searching abosolutely everwhere for some, but yours are so nice! Can you tell me the etsy shop you got them from? I'd really appreciate it:)

    xx Carina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading what you wrote about the Holocaust and all the lost artifacts made ME tear up. This is a lovely post. I'm also in love with your shoes- I've been looking for an identical pair for quite some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the coat is gorgeous and it sounds like you had a fab time - although the jewish museum sounds quite traumatising x

    ReplyDelete
  7. your trip sounds fun! berlin is a really cool city. i love those rings you're wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not quite sure what it is exactly but this outfit reminds me so much of the clothes Disney's Anastasia wears at the start of the film, love the jacket!

    It's lovely that you got to go to Berlin again, even if it was for a short while. I can understand your feelings about the Jewish Museum, I went to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp last time I was in Germany and it was just so awful to see it all in front of you. It's one thing to watch a Holocaust film, I mean that is upsetting enough, but to see these murdered peoples objects is just so tragic...

    Thank you so much for the award darling, I hope I can come up with something as interesting to write when I post about my award :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. €5 coats, fantastic! I am so with you on number 6, I'm so tired when I get home from work that I just seem to fritter my evenings away without achieving anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Berlin sounds really good and I love the coat you bought there! Really interesting '7 things', thanks for accepting the award - you so deserve it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been to the Anne Frank house/museum and felt the same way! It's horrid.
    I love your find though! It suits you so much,

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great finds! I've never had a whole lot of luck at vintage thrifting in general. D:

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so.. humbling (I'm not even sure if that's the word I want) to think about all those children and people that weren't so lucky as we were to be safe.. If my great (x3) grandparents hadn't left Germany, then I honestly don't know what would've happened. Your reflection gave me goosebumps.

    On another note, I agree with the gal who said you reminded her of Anastasia. You are absolutely lovely.

    I hope the week is treating you well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank-you for the comment my lovely :)
    Haha I know, she comes up with stuff like that a lot about how people annoy her. aw there's nothing to be jealous of! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg i can't believe someone was talking behind your back about your legs that is just so ill-considered! The same thing could have happened to them or still can happen don't they know it.sorry i just get furious at inconsiderate people.But i think you're a really beautiful girl with nice legs and i'm not just saying that.
    Anyway i love the first part of your post so much and it's really moving, it brought tears to my eyes while i was reading.Sometimes i can't believe how different could be someone's life than yours that one can be incapable of even imagining it.
    By the way i despise celery too and sometimes i love animals more than people but not always :]

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looooove it:)

    LOVE
    minnja

    http://minnja.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. great outfit, love how you accessorized with those rings!




    myblissisthisway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the rings, and your dressing table looks so rad. Thanks for the lovely comment, new post up!
    www.swampedinflowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely shoes ;)

    http://www.snowblackblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rachelous! So great to meet you! Ya know I think this all-brown ensemble is INCREDIBLY chic. Such a rich color. And I could really go for some roast chicken right about now :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. absolutely love the rings :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anyway i love the first part of your post so much and it's really moving, it brought tears to my eyes while i was reading.Sometimes i can't believe how different could be someone's life than yours that one can be incapable of even imagining it. Cheap Tera Gold

    By the way i despise celery too and sometimes i love animals more than people but not always :]

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so.. humbling (I'm not even sure if that's the word I want) to think about all those children and people that weren't so lucky as we were to be safe.. If my great (x3) grandparents hadn't left Germany, then I honestly don't know what would've happened. Your reflection gave me goosebumps.
    Tera Account

    ReplyDelete

thank you, I love reading your pretty words <3