Thursday, 17 February 2011

Not my time of the month

I haven't liked February in a while. At the beginning of Feb 2003 the daughter of one of my mum's friends died from an asthma attack. She was 16, and I'd met her the previous summer- a friendly, happy girl with as the cliche says, her whole life ahead of her.
On the 16th of February 2004 my beloved grandmother died. She wasn't the sort of grandmother you see a few times a year for birthdays or Christmas (not that that would make things better!), but someone who was very much involved in my life from day 1, as my father wasn't around and I was an only child (as is my mother). So she was a granny, a child minder, a companion for visits to Hamley's and the park and much, much more.
On the 18th of February 2005 I broke my leg horrifically in South America on my gap year. And it's funny we've come around with the number of years to the dates being on the same days as 2005 (if that makes any sense?). Thus on Monday the 14th of Feb 2005 I was setting off with my compadres in the Ecuadorian cloud forest with a 10 kg rucksack on my back to Santa Rosa- a beautiful, isolated little collection of huts, to build a greenhouse, and incidentally fall off a vine and break my leg. We set off with a flower each from Eliza the founder of the NGO we were volunteering for... I broke my leg on the Friday (18th).
Oh yes, and one my colleagues from work has just been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a type of cancer. And he is only 9 months older than me! His brother had it too, apparently you can have a genetic predisposition to it, but it does have a 90% survival rate when treated early.

Basically, not a fun month for people like me, who tend to dwell on things too much, living in nostalgic day dreams.

On a more positive note, I finally bought this crochet collar after having ummed and ahed for a while (I was planning on finding a vintage one somewhere) and seeing how well Sally wore it .

IMG_1602
IMG_1603
IMG_1601
IMG_1600
IMG_1608

I know, I know, the shirt is a little see through but it was £5 many moons ago from H n M (and for once I'm wearing a nice bra underneath..). These new rings are both from Primark. They sometimes have such nice ones- I can't always bear to pay £10 or more in Topshop, and they all go green with time anyway. The brogues are vintage from an amazing shop in Bristol, BS8 I think it'a called, that stocks random labels, vintage and accessories.

Seriously looking forward to a calm weekend. The cat is being taken to the vet tomorrow (upset tummy/bowels, I'll spare the gory details). Stuffing him in the cat carrier is a task in itself...

21 comments:

  1. oh my, February doesnt seem to be your month.
    i am sorry.. :(
    BUT, i love love love your collar. so perfect.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does seem like Febuary has it out for you, I just hope that now that we're nearing the end of Febuary nothing goes horribly wrong *touch wood*! That lace collar is so gorgeous, now I want one too :P
    Hope poor Bwuckums feels better soon, hugs and kisses for him from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that is a horrendously unlucky month for you! I'm sorry to hear about your friend most recently, perhaps you should hibernate for a month in Feb 2012 to escape it all? jazzy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I feel a bit feeble for moaning about February now! All I suffer from during it is lack of money and extreme stress at work. Can't imagine having to deal with all the awful memories that you must be coping with :( *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really sorry to hear about all the unfortunate events that have surrounded this month. I, too, can't imagine what it's like to deal with so many awful memories. I hope your February only ends well!


    paperwhales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flippin' heck, February isn't your month at all is it? :( So sorry to hear of all those different things that have happened, try to keep smiling and stay positive... Thank goodness its the 18th and you don't have much more of February left! :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear your February's suck :(
    But that collar is gorgeous, and I have the birdy ring! We obviously have very similar Primark needs ;)
    Hope everything at the vets goes ok,

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh i love the last photo! and how the focus is on the book binds. beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to here about your februarys :( Your strong to keep going though :) hope the next few months are loads better for you :)

    x x
    ps I love the gold bird ring I may have to go and buy it :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww me too, February is often just a crappy month for me. But I find that the rest of the year is nice! At least its a short month, soon enough it'll be over. I adore your brogues and the little lace collar, so dainty! http://thearcenciel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I LOVE the collar! Just perfect with this crisp white shirt and shiny oxfords. I want it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is such a pretty lace collar! love the rose ring too! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw Im sorry February is so horrible for you! :( Not long now and it will be March.
    I have to say, I love the crochet collar! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry for your troubles dearest, but I know things will get better for you, just have hope, always hope. That truly is a lovely collar!

    xx and hugs

    Jhordyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. love love love this collar. where's it from?

    Helen,X

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank-you for the comment my lovely,
    oh my goodness that collar is gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I am really sorry to hear about your friend... My dad died of Non-Hodgkin's Lynphoma, but that was the "aggressive" version, so hopefully his won't have such an impact... I really, really hope he's okay and my thoughts go out to your Grandma too. Thankyou for your sweet comments despite having a rough month :). I'm always here if you need someone to talk to xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh no, february doesn't seem to be treating you well :( so sorry to hear about your friend. but your collar is beautiful.<3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really, really hope you are ok, love. Do not dwell too long on the things that make you unhappy. Remember only in fondness, and stay positive.

    Love to you, dear, I hope you are well. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanyou for your lovely comment my dear.
    I hope your February's get alot better!
    Love the blog, can't wait to curl up with a nice cup of tea and catch up on it.
    <3
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful collar. I'm so sorry to hear how badly February has been for you :( that's so unfortunate because it's my favourite month :( i hope things look up for you and that it doesn't keep being a bad month! let me know if you want to follow each other :)

    http://opinionslave.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thank you, I love reading your pretty words <3