Saturday, 2 March 2013

The Copenhagen Post

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
This sandwich was only £8! Result

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

So Copenhagen. Denmark isn't a country I knew much about (we've only just started watching The Killing) but I had reasonable expectations of the capital being slightly Scandinavian cool and a bit edgy, seeing as it's barely half an hour away from Sweden by train. Alas, from what we saw, Copenhagen had a few interesting sights, a very extensive (and free, hurrah!) National Museum, but not a huuuge amount to do and see. We did a lot of mooching around, saw Christiania- the huge "free town" in the middle of Copenhagen, home to arty types, free spirits, entrepreneurs, drug addicts, a successful social experiment in sum. The buying and selling of weed and skunk happens quite openly, though taking photos isn't allowed as the practice is now forbidden by the authorities. We sat for a while and contemplated this little world, however watching scary looking men and too-young-looking kids puffing away on huge spliffs wasn't hugely appealing, and we didn't stay long.

We visited the main cemetery, home to Hans Christian Anderson, Kierkegaard and other less prominent Danes. We ate some great sandwiches (the Danes certainly know how to make sandwiches) and had a gorgeous brunch at the Laundromat Cafe (housed in an old laundromat, washing machines still intact). We found the city relatively empty, and even the trendy Meatpacking district had tumbleweed rolling through of an evening. I know it's out of season and cold, but having visited Sweden in October and Berlin twice in winter, things were a lot more buzzing there.

Equally on the whole the priceyness of the city was a turn off. £3 for a 500ml bottle of water, £20 for a sandwich in Cafe Europa (supposedly serving Copenhagen's best coffee, and also the worst waiters- thanks for chucking a sugar sachet down on the table with more disdain than I've ever been able to muster) and £40 return for the 30 minute ride to Malmo, Sweden. Youch. Incidentally we preferred Malmo (free modern art museum, friendly service, a cool windmill, cute ducks- photos to follow in another post).

I wouldn't dissuade anyone from visiting Copenhagen, but I would say 48 hours is enough to cover the basics, take in the canals, Christiania, see the Little Mermaid statue... but no more. I don't think it quite had the appeal, the intriguing history or beauty of some of the other European cities I've visited (Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Krakow...), or the aching cool of equally pricey Stockholm. But that's just my view!

42 comments:

  1. I've had a friend tell me similar things about how incredibly pricey the place is considering there isn't an awful lot to see and do! Brilliant photos though - especially the one of the birds taking flight in front of that gorgeous building :-)

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww your photos are always beautiful! Mmmmm i agree with you wholly on the priceyness of the city :/ i visited when i was travelling and we only stayed a day before hopping on the train back to sweden! My poor shallow pockets just couldnt last more than the day!

    If youve never been try and head to Krakow! (although youve probably been you seasoned traveller you) It is STUNNING and sooo cheap its nuts! Love love love xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah glad you agree! Hehe I've just edited this actually, forgot about Krakow which was very pretty! xxx

      Delete
  3. these photos are fab! it's a shame about the pricing! the high pricing of things instantly puts me off while i'm there which is quite anoying

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like you had lots fun! I've never been in Copenhagen ! but I love it in your lens <3
    + your cap is awesome !
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog, please check out mine here:-----> http://thatenvy.blogspot.com/2013/02/topshop-new-arrivals-clothing-edition.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  6. Copenhagen looks beautiful... I've never been!
    Loving the neons in your outfit.

    www.fashion-underdog.blogspot.co.uk
    Emma
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the beanie, and the photos- I really want to visit now!
    Katie xx
    http://thegravityandshe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. That smoked salmon sandwich looks amazing!

    http://fixatedwithfashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. i adore Copenhagen and dint know there was a laundromat cafe there, i've been to the one in Reykjavik only. your photos are lovely. are the rides open in the winter at tivoli? i hope so because that was a blast.
    awesome post!
    amanda
    http://thingstoholdandstir.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful photos, amazed at the colour! It looks like a quirky little city. Have never been, or thought about going to Denmark, I wonder what else is around Copenhagan to make it a more rounded trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear you feel that way about Copenhagen.
    I was born and raised in the city and I love it... the best places are not the most normal tourist places..
    My bf came from the other side of the country and felt the same way about Copenhagen, until I showed him the not so populare spots :)
    I agree with the prices that everything is expensive, but all in all denmark is a great country and when you look closer you will find wird places lol

    Have a nice weekend

    artofmi3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still enjoyed my time there :) I'm sure there were many cool places I didn't have time to see, I guess I just didn't fall in love with it like other cities! xx

      Delete
  12. Aww I'd love to visit Copenhagen! Your pictures are lovely - the buildings look amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to visit Copenhagen, Christiana sounds mental though!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judging your snapshots, Copenhagen looks GORGEOUS. How it is pricey, I won't be visiting it soon as being freelance artist I am unfortunately not rich! Definitely one day though xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow....this looks awesome~

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such gorgeous photos! Did you get a new camera recently? Because your photos are looking amazing!
    Copenhagen sure sounds pricey, wow. I've always thought that London was an expensive city to visit but this is quite something else. It is quite beautiful though, but what a shame about the drugs! I went to Amsterdam a few years ago and was blown away by the beauty of the place and the delicious food, but all of the drug use really bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks lovely but sounds so expensive!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Copenhagen is on my list of places I want to visit but there are other places I would like to go first!

    Laura
    www.whitewintersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, now i'm a little embarrased to be a Dane.. :/ <3


    www.nelliescloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh it looks beautiful! Hello neon beanie. Adding it to my list of places to visit!

    Tara
    The Style Rawr!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the picture with the birds. It looks like such a colourful, vibrant place to visit- its a shame there's not that much to do there.
    Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  22. such a gorgeous place, beautiful photos! Also, love your neon beanie! xx
    Alice Barton ♥ TheMowWay

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a shame it wasn't all that because it looks so pretty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Crikey I can't believe how expensive that is :/ I've just got back from Paris and that felt like bad enough.... Your photographs are lovely though! ♥ Claire @ Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!! I know you said expensive but woah! I think I'd still like to visit - I feel inspired to do done city breaks rather than a long summer holiday this year

    Jenni x

    Bows Bangles & Bakes

    ReplyDelete
  26. I feel like most Scandinavian countries are expensive, a few people I know have visited Stockholm and have said the same thing. Prague and Berlin (as well as London, obviously :-P) are my favourite European cities as they're very majestic (I think that's the right word?).

    I'm surprised that there wasn't more to do or see though, considering it's a capital city! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Paris was pricey too but plenty to do there. This sounds more like a city to visit on a bigger trip. Very pretty though xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love these photographs, they are so colourful and your outfit is wonderful (liking the hat!). Oh good lorddd 8 quid for a sandwich! I generally buy the 99p sandwiches from a cheap place in town haha, but that sandwich does look like a posh one! I'd definitely find free things to do if I were there so great to know the museum is free. Taking in the sights is something I'd enjoy too. I didn't quite know how expensive it would be though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. gorgeous style, adoring your blog miss!
    would love to see you in casper&pearl one day!

    lots of love from the c&p girls,
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love how the neon beanie popped out. You're looking lovely as well <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. love how copenhagen has those bright colors everywhere,
    makes the city quite lively and vibrant :)

    would love to visit this place one day as
    its said to have the highest living
    standard in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful city!

    Do you wanna follow eachother?If you follow me be sure that ill follow you back asap.
    so let me know dear

    cheers

    www.istanbulianchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. what BEAUTIFUL photographs!
    lovely post!
    Rosie xo
    A Pocketful of Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jeez 20 quid for a sandwich? On the bright side your photos make it seem like a colourful, pretty place. I also like your hat :) x

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow that's expensive (I thought Paris was bad but this seems in another league!). Still I'm glad you had a good time and you've taken stunning photographs x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wowzers this is expensive. I'm a little bit upset cos I flipping love The Killing and I'd love to Stomp around like Sarah Lund in my jumpers! Your photos are beautiful and I'm glad you had a nice time regardless. You and your other half make an edgy picture. I like it

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well Copenhagen is a bit expensive, but it is a beautiful city. I am sorry that you experienced it as an empty city, with not so much to do. And I am so sorry that you found the people of CPH rude.

    I live in Copenhagen, and I love it. Sure, now in this cold, harsh and terrible weather the streets tend to be a bit empty. Keep in mind that we have had winter for 6 months now : (. My advice is, come to CPH in spring or summer and I promise you that you will love it. There is no better place to be than this lovely city.

    and why oh why did you go to Cafe Europa : ), that is by far one of the most expensive ones. Why? Because it is located in the middle of the street where thousands of people pass everyday, thousands of tourists : ) ; ).


    Love,

    Maja

    ReplyDelete
  38. i spent a few days in Copenhagen when I first moved to Denmark and I enjoyed its calmness! You should try and explore the rest of the country if you can, it's great but you never get used to the price! x

    ReplyDelete

thank you, I love reading your pretty words <3